- What is Author's Republic?
Author's Republic is an aggregate audiobook publisher.
What does that even mean?
It means that we accept books from many different sources and publish them as one entity. So, we can use our size to get favorable royalty rates and get books from low-volume authors onto big platforms.
- Is Author’s Republic really free to use?
- Is Author’s Republic a vanity publisher?
Nope. You’ll never pay a listing fee, a submission fee, a review fee, a referral fee, or any other type of fee.
- Why did you call your company “Author’s Republic”?
We named our publishing company “Author’s Republic” because we felt the current popular audiobook distribution methods were rigid and unfair to authors and we wanted to build an alternative for anyone who wanted it. We made flexibility, fairness and freedom the three pillars of our business model, and let them guide the direction of our company.
- I’m a publisher. Can I use Author’s Republic to distribute my catalogue?
Yes! Get in touch with us, and we’ll talk about special solutions for high-volume uploaders.
- Are there minimum length requirements for audiobooks I submit to Author's Republic?
Nope! We accept books of all durations, from a 3-minute children's book to an epic 40-hour novel.
However, keep in mind that shorter books will sell differently than longer audiobooks. Because so much of the audiobook market uses subscription models (where listeners purchase flat-rate credits that can be applied to any book on offer), it can be hard for shorter books to compete against full-length titles at the same price through those distributors.
For maximum success, we encourage bundling titles together into an audiobook collection to offer a more competitive value. You can then submit BOTH the individual titles and the bundle as separate works, allowing you to take advantage of all the different business models our retailers use to sell audiobooks.
- Can I get my audiobook enabled for Amazon's Whispersync?
If you choose to use Author's Republic to distribute to Amazon/iTunes/Audible, send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org
to let us know that you'd like to request consideration for your title to be Whispersync enabled. We'll pass the request along on your behalf, but there are no guarantees; ultimately, it's Amazon's decision whether or not they choose to add it to your book.
If Amazon does decide to enable Whispersync on your title, the audio and eBook version must be an almost-perfect word-for-word match, and it can take up to 2 months for the feature to go live. Amazon won't let us know whether or not your book has been accepted for Whispersync; all you can do is continue to check your book's Amazon page to see if it shows up. If you don't see WhisperSync enabled after 2-3 months, then it's likely that your book was not approved.
Please note that even if you don't request Whispersync, your title may still become Whispersync-enabled if it meets Amazon's criteria. Currently, this cannot be disabled.
- Will you make my audiobook on CDs?
We're the best in the biz at digital audiobook distribution, but because of the direction of market growth, we're not involved with CD audiobook production/distribution. So, you're free to make any arrangements you like to produce and distribute your audiobook on CD.
There are many options available to you for how to go about producing and selling your audiobook CDs. If you'd like to have CD audiobooks produced to sell in person or online (sell at events, sell to your readers through your website, sell them on Amazon, etc.), we'd recommend working with a preferred partner of ours, Aspen Duplication. They're happy to offer special pricing to all Author's Republic users! Just reference "Author's Republic" to our friend Shane. Below is his contact info:
Aspen Duplication, LLC
Shane Griffin, owner
801-558-2164 or 801-444-2794
- How can I get my work made into an audiobook?
We currently only work with completed audiobooks, so if you haven’t yet created your audiobook, consider connecting with narrators on Voices.com
, using a free application like Audacity
, or even contacting an A-Z service like Book Buddy
or Deyan Audio
- Do you distribute eBooks?
- I have a deep dislike of one or more of your distributor partners. Do I have to list my book with all of them?
Nope! Our distributors are divided into groups. You decide whether you sell your books through both groups or just one.
- Can you guarantee that my book will be accepted by every distributor?
Each of our partners has unique criteria for the kinds of books they accept, and sometimes, your book won't fit the bill. If a book is rejected by a distributor, we'll let you know.
- How long will it take for my audiobook to become available through all the distributors / platforms?
Once a book has moved through the Author’s Republic approval process, it needs to be approved by individual distributors and platforms with their own processes. Please allow 30-60 days to see your books live and for sale.
- Can I make changes to my audiobook once it’s been submitted?
It’s possible, but it’s a long and laborious process and we can’t guarantee that all the distributors will be able to adjust your file in a timely manner. It’s best if you make sure your files, cover and other metadata are correct before uploading.
- What are the audio requirements I need to meet to submit my audiobook?
The requirements will change depending on which distributors you want to sell your book for you.
If you are distributing through our full list of distribution partners, your audio files must meet the following criteria:
1. Consistent in overall sound and formatting.
2. Audiobook must be comprised of all mono, or all stereo files.
3. Audiobook must include opening and closing credits, in separate tracks.
4. Audiobook must be narrated by a human. Text-to-speech recordings are not allowed.
5. Each uploaded file must contain only one chapter or section.
6. Each uploaded file must be no longer than 120 minutes. Files longer than 120 minutes are not supported.
7. Each uploaded file must contain a section or chapter announcement at the beginning of the audio file.
8. Each uploaded file must have between 0.5 and 1 second of room tone at the head, and between 1 and 5 seconds of room tone at the tail of each track.
9. Each uploaded file must be free of extraneous sounds such as plosives, mic pops, mouse clicks, excessive mouth noise, and outtakes.
10. Each uploaded file must measure between -23dB and -18dB RMS.
11. Each uploaded file must have peak values no higher than -3dB.
12. Each uploaded file must have a noise floor no higher than -60dB RMS.
13. Each uploaded file must be 192kbps or higher MP3, Constant Bit Rate (CBR).
14. Each uploaded file must be 44.1 kHz.
15. Each uploaded file must be no larger than 170MB. Files larger than 170MB are not supported.
Don't worry - we we'll walk you through it as you go.
- I want to turn my book into an audiobook, but I hate my voice. Can you help me find a narrator?
A) we think you shouldn't be so hard on yourself and B) we've put some great resources in the Audiobook Creation
section you might find helpful.
- Will you promote my book for me?
Sorry, the promotion is all up to you. Consider this an opportunity to add "Book Marketing Manager" to your resume. Check out our Promote Yourself section to find some resources on how to do it best.
- I'm already selling audiobooks through Audible. Can I distribute my audiobooks with your other retail partners using Author's Republic?
Yes, but it depends on whether or not your books are being distributed with a non-exclusive or exclusive agreement with Audible.
If you've got a non-exclusive agreement, great! On the first step of submitting a project to us, simply check the box that states "If you'd like to request permission to sell your audiobook independently through Audible-related vendors (Audible, Amazon, iTunes), check this box." This will allow you to keep selling your audiobooks through Audible, Amazon and iTunes independently, and we'll sell it everywhere else. When you're choosing the distributors, simply leave Audible/Amazon/iTunes unchecked.
If you've got an exclusive agreement with Audible, you can get in touch with them and ask that your books be distributed under a non-exclusive agreement instead. Be aware that this may change things like your royalty terms with Audible, so make sure you know what's up. Then, proceed as above. (Note: If you've done a royalty-share agreement when producing your audiobook through Audible, you may not be eligible to change the terms of the agreement.)
- If I need to push through a significant update to my project, is it possible to send this change to distributors?
When it comes to content updates for your audiobook, we will be able to send new audio files / meta data / cover art etc. to our retailer partners if it is within reason and a significant change.
Ultimately, it will be up to the distributors as to when that change can be pushed live, and it is possible that multiple versions of your book will be available for sale at the same time until everyone has caught up. We recommend avoiding this as best as possible to be sure you know what is on sale and where.
- I'm already selling audiobooks through a site like CDBaby, eJunkie, payhip, or gumroad. Can I still distribute my audiobooks through Author's Republic?
Yes! We will still be able to distribute your audiobook for you.
During the course of our agreement, you won't be able to enter any other distribution agreements (other than your own personal channel of course!). However, CDBaby, eJunkie, payhip, and gumroad are actually unique from the type of distribution agreement that we have, and are classified as "shopping cart sites", or posting / payment processing sites. So, absolutely yes - you'll be able to sell through them AND Author's Republic!
- What are the cover art requirements?
We ask for the following image specifications so that your work will be accepted by all of our partners, as this is the lowest common denominator of what they work with:
Your audiobook cover must:
• Include author name and title
• No references to physical (CD) or other media editions
• No CD jewel case, promo stickers, or cellophane
• No offensive material
• No colored borders on the side
• 2400 x 2400 (H x W) minimum
• Must be a perfect square
• File size should be less than 8MB
• 24-bit minimum
• 72 dpi minimum
• RGB (Not CMYK)
• JPG Format
• File name alphanumeric only
- Which distributors/retailers will my book be available on?
Depending on which platforms you decide to distribute through, you can expect to see your title for sale on: Audiobooks.com, Audible, iTunes, Amazon, Scribd, Downpour, Barnes & Noble, Nook, Overdrive (libraries), Hoopla (libraries), 3M (libraries), Baker & Taylor (libraries), TuneIn, AudiobookStore.com, and more.
We're talking to new distributors all the time and are working on some exciting new relationships in foreign markets that were previously inaccessible to most authors. Score!
Each of our distribution partners reserves the right to decide which titles they'll carry, and have different processes and time frames for making new content available for sale.
- How much money will I make?
You'll receive 70% of what your audiobook earns across over 30 channels, including all major distributors such as Audible, Audiobooks.com, and iTunes.
- Can I set the price of my book?
You can enter an MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail price) when you submit your book, but not all distributors will take it into account. Some offer fixed pricing (like a flat price for a credit) or price books automatically based on length.
- How (and how often) will I get paid?
We'll deposit any royalties we've collected for you into your PayPal account on a monthly basis once you've accumulated $10.00 or more in any given monthly pay period. Direct deposit is also available to US-based authors with 10 or more titles.
Our distribution partners all have unique schedules for sending royalties to us. Some will pay us within 30 days of the previous month's end; some will pay us 30 days after the previous quarter. Regardless, every month, we'll send you any royalties we've collected in your name.
- I don’t have a PayPal account.
No problem! They’re free and easy to create.
Keep in mind, if you are based in the US and have 10 or more titles, direct deposit is also an option.
- What are the income tax implications of getting paid from Author's Republic?
When you sign up for an account, in the payment information section, you'll be able to fill out a tax form and upload it to us as an image or scan.
When we pay you, we don't hold back any portion of your payment for income tax purposes. This means you're responsible for paying income tax on your earnings to the government of your home country--and we're responsible for proving that you're going to do it. This is the only reason we collect a tax form from you.